Thursday, February 25, 2010

Soup & Salad

As that it is freezing cold outside, I decided I wanted to warm up after my night class with a bowl of soup. In the cupboard I had vegetable noodle and tomato. Since a salad also sounded good, I opted for tomato soup because I didn't want a veggie overload. I went online to see if I could find a recipe to add some pizazz to boring tomato soup (also because I'm out of saltine crackers). What I ended up making was Creamy Citrus Tomato Soup with Pesto Croutons and I must say it was pretty delicious. The lemon sauce gave it a bit of zest and it was indeed very creamy. However, if I were to make it again, I think I'd just add some pesto to the soup to give it the garlic flavor and use the toast to just dip in. It was kind of difficult to cut the toast in the bowl and then it got soggy which isn't my favorite texture. But the flavors went really well together so it tasted good.
And in the salad, I added a tomato slice, green pepper, shredded mozzarella, craisins and almond slices to spring mix greens with spinach leaves. Then I topped it off with Italian dressing. Possibly my favorite salad creation, I used to make it this way all the time at the salad bar in the DePaul cafeteria-but I bet the veggies are much more fresh this way.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment